Sunday, June 1, 2014

Hello world!

Okay…so I’ve started a blog.  Why? I’m really not sure.  Probably because my Facebook friends have no desire to read another rant by me about the deplorable state of the Mets.  Or a post about the weather, or any other topic that I frequently ramble on about.  So I’ll rant and ramble here, knowing full well that very people will ever read what I write.  Who cares.
Let me begin by explaining my blog’s title, half of which doesn’t appear to be visible (I’ll have to look into that).  Since 2000 I’ve been a Mets plan ticket holder.  That first year it was my dad (a Yankees fan) and I.  We had the Saturday pack.  All 13 Saturday home games.  I believe we were Mezzanine Section 8, though I can’t be sure of that.  It was a great first year.  Being a plan holder got me limited access to playoff tickets (games in each round, but not all the games).  In the NLDS, I was at the game vs. the Giants that the Mets won in extra innings on a Benny Agbayani walk-off HR.  In the NLCS I was at the game that clinched the pennant as the Mets beat the Cardinals to go to their first World Series since 1986.  Sadly, I only got tickets to one WS game that I will remember for 2 things: the Mets lost and there was a pre-game performance by Baha Men of “Who Let the Dogs Out”.  The following year my buddy Joe started doing the plan with me and we moved over to Section 6 (still in the Mezzanine), where we would remain until Shea got torn down after the 2008 season.  We once again had access to playoff tickets, which means we were witness to one of the most amazing postseason catches ever when Endy Chavez robbed Scott Rolen of a HR.  Unfortunately, that was Game 7 of the NLCS so we were also witness to one of the most heartbreaking moments in Mets history, when Carlos Beltran took a called 3rd strike (damn you Adam Wainwright) to end the game with the bases loaded.  It’s been all downhill for the Mets since then.
Anyway, getting back to why I titled my blog, “Just Happy to be in the Park…” In the last year of Shea, it was important that I be at Shea’s final Opening Day and final game ever.  After all, the place had become my second home.  When CitiField opened the following year, it was important I be at the first games and I managed to  hit all 3 “firsts”.  1st game St. John’s vs Georgetown, 1st Mets game (Mets vs Red Sox exhibition) and Opening Night, Mets vs Padres.  Since 2004, I’ve been to every Opening Day.  When the ticket rep asks me where I want to sit, I reply, “I don’t care, I’m just happy to be in the park.”  And since Opening Day has become something of a holiday for me and my family, that usually means sitting up in the cheap seats to save some money.  After all, it’s not about where you sit, it’s just about being in the park :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment