Sunday, June 1, 2014

Coming Down the Home Stretch

So with about a week to go in Spring Training, I have to say I like what I’m seeing so far from this team.  Starting pitching has been outstanding, although Jon Niese remains a question mark.  I believe the Mets are being a little too optimistic in their thinking that he can make his first start in the 2nd series vs. the Reds given how little he’s pitched this spring.  Given the way Jenrry Mejia pitched today against what will essentially be the Nats Opening Day lineup, I have no problem with him and Dice K starting the season as our #4 and #5 starters.  Should Niese prove healthy enough, I think Mejia is a great arm in the bullpen, although the Mets may send him to Vegas to be a starter. When I did my “Things That Have to Happen for the Mets to Win 90 Games” post, I made no mention of the bullpen because all successful teams have strong bullpens, so I figured that didn’t need to be written. I think our bullpen can be a real asset this season given the way it is shaping up.  Mejia and Familia can be guys that strikeout hitters and not walk guys.  Valverde, hopefully, can be this year’s LaTroy Hawkins, providing a veteran presence in a young bullpen and an 8th inning bridge to Parnell. If Scott Rice can repeat the year he had last year, and John Lanaan can transition to a reliever (he looked good in today’s 1 inning of work), which would give us 2 lefties in the pen, we are set.  The biggest question mark is Vic Black, who when we acquired him last year from the Pirates said he envisions himself a closer some day.  He’s had a shaky spring.  Perhaps he’s simply trying too hard in an effort to show the Mets he deserves to make the Opening Day roster.  If he does, I think he’ll settle down and we’ll see the pitcher we saw last September when they called him up.
Offensively, my biggest concern is that we are winning games with guys who will play secondary roles on this team.  Wright, Murphy, d’Arnaud, Duda, and Davis have done very little so far to contribute to their winning record, though to be fair, Murphy, Duda, and Davis have seen little playing time due to injuries.  Not that I’m worried at all about the Captain, it’s just the guys who are producing these wins (Brown, Campbell, Recker, Flores) will either be bench players or out in Vegas.  I will say this though, this team does not quit, and even though it is Spring Training, they have shown the ability to comeback late and win games.  This will be an important week as the regulars start to see more playing time.  If today’s game against a Nats team loaded with starters was any indication (solid starting pitching, great relief work, a 2-run bomb by Granderson), we will be a competitive.  In another week, we’ll start to find out.  And as always, on that day, I’ll be just happy to be in the park :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment