Sunday, June 1, 2014

Cell phone hell

The great thing about Twitter, besides the fact that certain female celebrities love posting half-naked pictures of themselves (yes Rhianna, I’m talking about you), is that it allows me to semi-follow Mets games without having to constantly open up Mets.com or the Sportscenter app on my phone.  I say semi-follow because @Mets only sends out tweets when the Mets have done something good, so a long break between @Mets tweets during a game is never a good sign.  As they are the only team I follow on Twitter, I have no way of knowing if this is standard practice for all the teams.  And though they made a game of it Saturday, including HRs by Buck and Byrd, not a single tweet was sent out during their 7-6 loss.  From what I understand, there are several people who control the @Mets account, and although I’ve tweeted them on several occasions saying, “Every score change deserves a tweet” I’ve yet to get any sort of reply.
The other problem to following games this way is when you enter a cell phone black hole as I did this weekend in southern Vermont.  The first tweet I got about the game was Kevin Burkhardt’s about Josh Satin being 3-3.  At that point, @Mets had sent out 3 tweets on the game but I’d yet to get them.  Nor could I pull up the SC app on my phone to check it out.  It amazes me that there are still gaps in cell coverage, especially up in the heavily populated Northeast.  Granted, I was in the mountains of VT, but even in places that had free wi-fi, I found the signal strength to be weak at best.  I guess all this just goes to show you how spoiled we’ve become and how reliant we are on technology that 10 years ago (that’s probably a bad guess as I don’t think smart phone apps and Twitter have even been around that long) didn’t exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment